The focus areas will be consulting, advanced training and research in the areas of medical device regulations, standards and calibration, Non-invasive hemodynamics for early vascular health assessment and Micro Nano Bio Fluidics.
- How to solve for pressure dependent time-varying material properties of hyper elastic arterial vessel walls non-invasively, without calibration?
- To develop technology for assessing endothelial dysfunction, vascular stiffness, central aortic blood pressure, for early risk factors, suited for routine clinical practice or large-scale screening, and clinically validate across the world in different patient groups and geographies.
- How to accurately and reliably measure a human’s vital physiological parameters over time, without wires between a patient’s body and sensing element?
- To develop technology for non-contact vital signs monitoring in adult beds, NICUs and exercise/sports training, and validate globally across different conditions, with emphasis on accuracy and reliability.
- How to create a navigation and visualization framework that will enable image guided surgery across multiple surgical procedures and ‘hardware’?
- To develop image-guided surgery platform for intraoperative imaging, cross-modal registration, tissue characterization, tool tracking, marker-free patient registration, across different surgeries.
Principal Investigator: Mohanasankar Sivaprakasam
Medical Device Regulations and Standards
This project aims to establish state of art centre for excellence in Medical Device Regulations and Standards. The centre aims to excel as the most sought-after single national source for all stakeholders of healthcare sector for comprehensive consulting, advanced training and research in the areas of medical device regulations, standards and calibration. This would address the public health demands through the strategic partnerships with regulatory bodies, medical device SMEs and front-end healthcare experts. The center would also help industries to accelerate innovations in design, manufacturing and maintenance of medical devices through enhancing their expertise in regulations and standards.
Principal Investigator: S. Ramakrishnan
Micro Nano Bio – Fluidics
This project aims at the establishment of a Center of Excellence (CoE) in Micro Nano Bio Fluidics (MNBF) at IIT Madras as part of the Institute of Eminence (IoE) scheme. Micro Nano Bio Fluidics is recognized as one of the emerging fields of research by the National Academy of Sciences Engineering and Medicine and is being actively pursued as one among the few major research focus areas of high impact at the leading universities around the world. The scientific investigations in the realm of Micro Nano Bio Fluidics occupy a unique and prominent position in the fundamental and applied research due to its coverage on the significant challenges being faced by the mankind on energy, healthcare, and water. We plan to pursue a set of research problems related to Interfacial Microfluidics, Nanofluidics and Lab on Chip Technology.
Principal Investigator: Ashis Kumar Sen