The department offers several post-graduate degree programmes leading to an M.Tech, M.S. or Ph.D. degree, all of which have a strong research content. About 50 students receive their PG degrees annually from our Department. The focus areas of our department are in energy (fuel cells, coal gasification and combustion), systems and control (data analysis, fault diagnosis, optimization, advanced control), process intensification (ultrasonics, microwaves, microfluidics and microreactors), biochemical and environmental engineering (waste water treatment, bioremediation of soils, air pollution monitoring), and materials (polymers, electronic materials, catalysts).
The department is equipped with good analytical facilities and is poised to significantly enhance them through grants recently obtained.
- Refrigerated Centrifuge
- Ambient Air Quality Monitors
- Gas, Liquid & Ion Chromatograph
- ICP - AAS
- Ion electrodes, Sox, Nox analyzer
- UV Spectrophotometer
- Reverse Osmosis & Electrodialyzer
- Particle Image Velocimetry
- Dynamic Shear Rheometer
- Goniometer: GBX Digidrop
- Universal testing machine with temperature chamber
- Shearing Cell and hot stage with optical microscope
- Class 100 and Class 10K clean rooms
- Ultrasonicators with various frequencies
- Cavitation and Intensity meter
- Airborne/ Liquid borne/ Surface Particle Counters & Size Analyzers
- TSI Multi-parameter monitoring systems for Cleanrooms
- Chemical Mechanical Planarizer
- Thin Film Analyzer
- Process Simulators (ASPEN, HYSIS, BATCHCAD)
- Thermo Gravimetric Analyzer
- High Performance Liquid Chromatograph, Gas Chromatograph
- UV-Visible Spectroscopy
M.S. Ananth, A. R. Balakrishnan, Sreenivas Jayanti, S. Pushpavanam, R. Ravi, P.S.T. Sai, K. Krishnaiah
- Experimental and theoretical studies in flooding and dehydration in proton exchange membrane fuel cells
- Critical Heat Flux under pool boiling conditions
- Hot Gas Filtration
- Development of combination filter for simultaneous removal of particulates and SO2
R. Nagarajan, Tanmay Basak, A. Kannan
- Investigation of High-Frequency, High-intensity Ultrasonics for Heat Transfer Enhancement in Furnace Tubes.
- Experimental and Theoretical investigations of microwave melting of Metals.
- Experimental verification of multiple steady states in azeotropic distillation.
Systems and Control
Shankar Narasimhan, M. Chidambaram, V.S.R. Rao, A.K. Tangirala, Niket Kaisare, Sridharkumar Narasimhan
- Development of methods for leak detection and isolation in gas pipelines (implemented in GAIL LANCO Pipeline).
- Development of an intelligent blending solution for petroleum product blending.
- State Estimation Techniques for Nonlinear MPC of Fluidized Bed Reactor Process.
Abhijit Deshpande, Susy Varughese, Upendra Natarajan, R. Nagarajan, R. Ramnaryanan, S. Ramanathan
- Development of polymer blend membranes for fuel cell applications.
- Titanium compounds of interest in electrochemical titanium production.
- Polymer-based evanescent wave-guide chemical sensors with long period resonant gratings.
- Effect of Additives on Chemical Mechanical Planarization Slurries.
T. Panda, T. Swaminathan and R. Ravikrishna
- Emission inventory and source apportionment studies of air pollutants in Chennai city.
- Monitoring and Control of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCS) for Improved Air Quality in Chennai City in India.
- Processes for Degradation of Organic Pollutants in Aqueous Environment.