The following two IITM incubated companies and their founders have been in news for their achievements:
1. Mr. Umesh Sachdeva, Founder of Uniphone, an IITM incubated company at the IITM Research Park on being chosen as one of ten next-generation global leaders by Time Magazine. This is a list of people in all fields and he is the only Indian, and only technologist, amongst them. For further details please visit :
2. CYGNI, an incubatee of IIT Madras Incubation Cell and IIT Madras Rural Technology Business Incubator (RTBI) on being the chosen by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), GoI in a competition as a part of Start-up India Campaign. It is the only start-up to be so chosen out of 250 entries. For further details please visit: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/startup-india-250-requests-90-days-1-picked/1/683611.html
Incidentally, Cygni's product is Inverterless, a solar-DC alternative to the conventional inverter-based backup and off-grid solution. The solution is deployed extensively at Phalodi in Rajasthan as an off-grid solution, giving thousands of homes their first experience of electric lights, fans, electronic appliances, and very soon, mixies, grinders, etc.
An early prototype of this technology is deployed in Prof. Ashok Jhunjhnwala's home here, which ensured he had some power during the 4-day blackout last December.
You may recall that Phalodi was in the news recently due to the very high temperature recorded there this summer. Hence there was a lot of interest in our technology and its value to its residents. Here is a set of articles in the media on the technology from IITM:
1. Publication: NDTV
Headline: With IIT's Help, This Rajasthan Village Gets Electricity For First Time
2. Publication: The Economic Times
Headline: With ingenious tech tweak, IIT-Madras seeks to brighten lives of 300 million power-starved Indians
3. Publication: The New Indian Express
Headline: IIT-Madras powers Rajasthan villages with game-changer tech
4. Publication: MSN.com
Headline: Eds: This is the weekly column by well-known science writer (PHALODI NEWS)
5. Publication: Navbharat Times
Headline: IIT M Engineers lighten up villages in Thar