In order to encourage excellence in teaching with high quality research, a scheme of awards for young faculty members was introduced in 2006. Two awards for faculty in Engineering Departments ,and one award in the Departments of Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences and Management Studies are given annually.
These awards are known as "Young Faculty Recognition Awards (YFRA)" and will be presented to the recipient on the restricted day.
Nominations are invited for Young Faculty Recognition Awards for the year 2007 from the Heads of Departments. The last date for receipt of nominations is 15th February 2007. Information regarding nominees should be sent in the enclosed pro-forma, which is also available in the Academic Section website - http://academic.iitm.ac.in
Each award consists of a citation (signed by the Dean, Academic Research and the Director) and cash of Rs. 25,000/-, which will be transferred to the PCF of the recipient to be used for professional activities.
The following guidelines will be followed in the process of selection for these awards
- Any permanent faculty member of IIT Madras, who is not more than 40 years of age, as on 30 April of the preceding year, is eligible for the Award. Nominee should be a regular employee of IIT Madras holding a post of Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / Professor.
- Heads of Departments may propose nomination of faculty members of their departments only. Each of them can send a maximum of two nominations.
- The awards are given for outstanding contributions made by the young faculty members based on their course evaluation rating of 0.9 or higher for the previous four consecutive semesters in courses taught with a minimum of 10 students evaluating the courses, publication in reputed journals, guidance of research scholars and obtaining sponsored research grants, laboratory development, offering of CE courses etc.
- Faculty members who were awarded YFRA will not be considered for the award again in the next two years.
- Duly approved Research Advisory Committee(s) would make selections from the nominations received. The faculty members nominated for Young Faculty Recognition Award are required to make a brief presentation about their course, research and project works before the Research Advisory Committee. No nomination will be considered in absentia.